Five simple actions to enhance your work environment:
1- Say “Hello”
2-A “Please and Thank you” is nice.
3-Listen and acknowledge, it is nice to be heard.
4-Offer support, “anything I can do to help?”
5-“Have a nice day” is a good end to the work day.
Often a little action here or there can brighten up a day.
For a few years now I have been on this crazy kick trying to understand why most individuals don’t respond, whether it be via email, voice, pony express etc. Initially I just accepted it as human nature…but why? Why don’t people respond? Is it geographical a issue (laid back, too busy), procrastination, fear of being rude? Does the non-responding individual have an ego problem? Personally I have much more respect for an individual that is willing to share not so good news than an individual that hides and doesn’t respond. Don’t you?
I want to share with you one of my favorites chrisbrogan, his site is one that I visit on a regular basis. His post 10 Things You Could Do Better Today got my attention of course! Have a look at # 1 !
1. Improve your response time to requests. <–I might add respond at all.
2. Improve the brevity and simplicity of your email correspondence.
3. Connect with five new people and seven existing colleagues or friends each day.
4. Inspect your business process cycle from start to finish for improvements.
5. Rethink your approach to helping others succeed.
6. Increase the amount of times you connect others together to build new relationships.
7. Resolve three pieces of unfinished business, no matter how painful.
8. Live closer to your goals and your main points of focus, and less by reaction.
9. Take time to thank the people who make your life possible.
10. Rest and unplug.
The other 9 are very useful points as well! So why do you think people don’t respond? Is it intentional or unintentional? Does the mind start playing tricks on us when we don’t have an answer…….we deserve a response. Don’t we? Just respond darn it!